Sunday, March 2, 2014

Basilica of the Holy Blood


This Romanesque and Gothic Roman Catholic church stands in Burg Square, the historic birthplace of Bruges. Originally built in the 12th century as the chapel for the resident of the Count of Flanders, it is famous for its relic of the blood of Christ which, according to legend (recently disputed), was brought to Bruges in 1150 by Thierry of Alsace after the Second Crusade. The gilded bronze statues on the façade represent various Archduchesses and Archdukes (as well as Thierry of Alsace), which were added in the 16th century.


The lower chapel, dedicated to St. Basil the Great, is dark and solid, a fine example of Romanesque style which remains virtually unchanged. The upper chapel (below), with a separate entrance, was decorated in the Gothic style during the 16th century (and renovated multiple times during the 19th)--which I really love. The brightly painted walls and columns--like wallpaper--remind me so much of the Saint-Germain-des-Pres church in Paris. Here in the upper chapel is where the relic is displayed.


Sam says she remembers this beautiful church from our 2002 trip. But if I was inside it, I must've been unconscious. Because I can't imagine not remembering the colors and details, as well as the ceiling which represents an overturned ship. Very colorful and vivid.


Sam and I individually made our euro contribution and filed up the steps to pause in front of the glass vial sitting on a pillow in another case which is said to contain a cloth with the blood of Jesus Christ. Of course, with all the things running through my mind, I can't even remember what it looked like! So typical of me.


And since I was hesitant about taking photos, I snapped one peeking through a stone barrier above some candles but lower than the walkway to see the relic. Look closely to see the eyes of the lady sitting behind the display case, watching the approaching pilgrim.

PS - I read that this is where the 2013 TV series, "The White Queen," is filmed. I am not familiar with the show but will add it to my Netflix queue.

No comments:

Post a Comment